Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 14, 2013

Lil' A Fashion Week - Upcycled T-Shirt

Good Morning!

I told my brother that I was making Adam clothes, to which he replied "Poor kid..." - I get it, I remember growing up and wanting certain brands (ESPRIT, LA Gear- can you say 80's child?) and I know that at some point, Adam's not going to want me to make his clothes because he'll realize that it's not cool...  We'll probably have s Crosby moment like this one...

 
Theo bought this new shirt for a dance (?), which Denise thought was ridiculously expensive so she offered to make him one JUST LIKE IT...
 
 
Which obviously, didn't go exactly as planned (laugh sound track). 
 
Yes, I can see this in Adam's future.
 
Anyways, as for now, he likes that I make him stuff, anything from a die cut to a t-shirt, he feels special and I feel warm and gooey inside when he happily tells something "my Mommy made it for me."
 
 
I think I mentioned once or twice that Big A NEVER gets new clothes... I believe its been 4ish years since I bought him something new, he just doesn't care too much about what he wears.  A few months ago I was folding his clothes and putting them away when I realized that I had a constant scrunched up nose from looking at his paint splattered, worn/faded clothes - which I promptly took out of his drawers and in a donate bag... except for a few items that I figured I could reuse to make Lil' A play clothes!
 
 
I used the basic TEE pattern/tutorial from MADE and grabbed one of Big A's shirts.
 
 
 
I looked over the shirt, finding the wear and tear parts (gaping hole anyone?) so figuring out what I wanted to use from the shirt and what I definitely wanted to avoid.  I didn't mind the fray edges, I liked the worn look since this was a little boys play shirt or pj shirt (so far it's been both).
 
 
I folded the shirt in half, reminding myself that the folded part of the shirt would end up being the center part of Lil' A's t-shirt.
 
 
I laid down my pattern exactly where I wanted (don't forget to use the front pattern piece if your material had a design you want to keep).
 
 
I traced the pattern with a red marker (not my best idea, I just wanted the tracing to show up in the photo) so yay! for bad but successful ideas!
 
I
Also did the same for the sleeves, purposely getting some of the worn edges on the sleeve.
 
 
 
And I have all the pieces for Lil' A's NEW (resused) t-shirt!  I then just went about sewing it all together per the tutorial instructions and...
 

Jumped for joy when it was done!
 
 
Because Lil' A now had a great, Daddy t-shirt to wear with his pj's (as seen here with Mommy made pj bottoms) or to play or just be a lump on a log with!
 
Yay for old, gross and holey shirts that get to be NEW, cool and comfy shirts!  I feel like the shirt would be smiling here if it could...
 
 
Oh wait... it is!  Happy Happy Happy!
 
Have a great day!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment